You have a gun safe that can protect your firearm or other valuables from thieves or other intruders but what can be other disasters that are fatal for these valuables. A gun safe should be fireproof and waterproof to offer you complete protection of your belongings.
You only need to get out of the place on fire in just two minutes as a house on fire has chemicals in the smoke and high-temperature heat that can be fatal for you. You cannot take all the valuable belongings with you in such situations so only a safe with fireproof ability can save your things.
The Fire Endurance Testis the criterion of how long the safe is going to endure when exposed to average temperatures of house fires (1,200-1,800 degrees Fahrenheit).
Some safes maintain this temperature for thirty minutes, one, or two hours, but the general recommendation for gun safes is with maximum minutes. We have listed the top six products to help you choose the best one for perfect protection.
|First Alert Waterproof Fire Safe with Digital Lock||Check On Amazon|
|SentrySafe SFW123DSB Fireproof Safe||Check On Amazon|
Best for The Money
Best for The Money
|Steelwater Standard Duty 16-Long Gun Safe||Check On Amazon|
|Mesa Gun Safe with Digital Lock||Check On Amazon|
Our Top Choice
Our Top Choice
|SentrySafe Fireproof Waterproof Safe||Check On Amazon|
Best Fireproof Gun Safe Reviews
1: First Alert 2096DF Fireproof Safe
This gun safe is designed to keep your weapons, documents and other valuables safe in the event of a fire. The First Alter gun safe has been classified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) to endure external temperatures of 1,700 degrees F for one hour while maintaining an internal temperature of fewer than 350 degrees.
Durable construction with a waterproof seal keeps contents dry even when the safe is submerged.
A programmable digital lock is simple and easy to use. The lock is simple to set up and operate. For foolproof security, it requires you to enter the code and insert one of the two standard keys to open the safe.
- Protects valuables from fire, water, and theft.
- It offers plenty of storage with2.1 cubic feet capacity, space for files, electronics, and weapons.
- Resistant against fire and heat with temperatures of up to 1700 degrees F for up to 1 hour
- Pry-resistant concealed hinges, deter thieves and resist crowbar entry for complete protection.
- The handle of the safe is not much durable and do not work according to instructions.
- Interior shelves can be bend easily with even low weight items.
2: SentrySafe SFW123DSB Fireproof Safe
A fireproof and waterproof safe is UL classified to endure 1 hour at 1700°F and keep interior temperatures safe for documents and other valuables.
You can preset dial combination with a secondary locking key for strong security. This gun safe features four live-locking bolts, steel construction, pry-resistant hinge bar, shelf, and bolt down hardware to offer an organized and durable device with fire and waterproof abilities.
A test measures the impact-resistant quality, dropping from 15 ft. It remains locked if it falls. The burning of the floor beneath the safe remains the safe locked and intact.
- The SentrySafe is also ETL verified to provide protection to digital media such as flash drives, USB drives, CDs and DVDs.
- Waterproof for 24 Hours.
- The fireproof ability works for one hour. Waterproof material saves valuables even if sprayed for fire extinguish.
- The lock mechanism is not efficient. It needs to operate often for better performance.
3: Steelwater AMEGS592216-BLK Fireproof gun safe
New and improved Steelwater Safe is a perfect match for your long guns with fireproof ability. Heat-activated expandable door seal keeps smoke and water out and expands up to 8 times its thickness in the event of a fire. Extended fire protection is offered in this upgraded design.
This gun safe features larger 1.5″ locking bolts, door organizer, and automatic LED for interior lighting is included for better organizing and access at a rush. EMP proof electronic lock system with high-security double bitted bypass key is available to help you not locked out of your safe.
This durable safe has Drill/ballistic resistant hard plate to offer perfect protection.
- Internal spring-loaded re-locking bolt to secure the safe in case the lock is punched out for theft attack.
- Two-section gun rack allows us to store a maximum of (8) long guns per section and includes (4) adjustable shelves for additional storage.
- 1 Hour of fire protection at 1875°F.
- It is unavailable for some areas that are far away or islands as it is delivered by tractor trailer.
- A bit expensive comparatively.
4: Mesa MBF6032E Fireproof Gun Safe
Mesa, a reliable name, makes safes with all-steel construction – 1 1/2-Inch overall thickness with fully upholstered interior to endure harsh conditions. 1 Hour fire endurance tested in temperatures up to 1750 degrees Fahrenheit to make it fireproof gun safe.
Its electronic lock is protected by a punch activated re-locking device; four anchor holes all to secure your safe from intruders.
Decorative brass spoke handle with a spacious interior that can hold up to 20 Rifles and measures 13 cubic feet of storage. A limited lifetime warranty adds value to the device.
- Bold color and decorative handle with solid finishing add to the aesthetics of the safe.
- Robust steel construction is pry-resistant.
- Pre-drilled for mounting to secure the safe on your desired place.
- Well organized space for long guns.
- It is a costly device.
- The mechanism of the lock creates issues after some time.
5: SentrySafe EF4738E Fireproof Gun Safe
A fireproof safe is ELT Verified to endure 1/2 hour at 1400°F to protect your documents and valuables from fire
It is also Waterproof, ETL Verified for 72 hours of protection in water up to 12 inches deep to offer protection to your valuables even in the event of a flood
You can set your digital combination safe for reliable security.
This fireproof safe features, five live-locking bolts and four deadbolts, solid steel construction, bolt down hardware, and a thicker door for advanced protection against theft.
Sentry gun safe has extra-large 4.7 cubic foot capacity for your belongings to fit in easily.
- SentrySafe fire protection is UL Classified to protect your most important documents and valuables for up to 1/2 hour at 1400˚F.
- The waterproof ability for 72 Hours
- SentrySafe protects your valuable items from flood damage in 12 inches of water.
- The carpeted floor is suitable for protecting delicate valuables from damage while storing inside.
- Keypad creates issues after some time to open the safe.
- Not well prepared for shipping.
6: Stack-On Fire-Resistant Gun Safe
A fire-resistant 8-Gun Safe with Electronic Lock from Stack-On for your ultimate security. Top security is offered with adjustable capacity, for your Firearms, valuables, and documents.
This stack-on is specially tested to withstand a half-hour in heat up to 1,400 degrees F to give protection against fire events. The 14-Gun Safe boasts five locking points, a combination keypad and a drill resistant steel plate to protect against unauthorized access.
An adjustable shelf is for you to customize storage options. You can convert storing areas to shelving for storing ammo, pistols or other items of your choice.
- 3-point locking system with key coded cylinder lock for better security.
- Adjustable barrel shelves for the extended area to accommodate the weapons accordingly.
- Customers complain about its damage during shipping that its finishing is not done properly.
- Shelves are not made well to organize long guns.
In a nutshell, all the gun safes with fireproof ability must be tested and certified to perform well. UL rating will help you understand their capacity to fireproof or waterproof the safe.
The Underwriters Laboratories or U.L, has set the fireproof ratings for the safes through tests. There are three classes for rating the product according to the stored items. First with 72 for paper products, second 150 for tapes, cartridges, and microfilm and lastly 125 for computer disks, etc. The safes should maintain their interior temperature to keep stored items safe from outer heat.
Buying Guide for Fireproof Gun Safe
Gun Safes that are made to protect your items against buglers cannot give you fire-resistant protection. Steel construction is not enough to protect against fire. It needs a special fireproof coating to help you prevent from maximum damage. For buying a product with dual protection, you need to understand what can make a safe fire resistant and what are the approved ratings for better protection.
Fire Resistant Ability
No gun safe can be fireproof, so this term is misleading for the costumers. A gun safe can be fire-resistant for a specific period of time. It should be 1 hour, at least according to U.L. fire ratings. Underwriters Laboratories (U.L.), a U.S. authority on safes for both security and fire protection.
There must be a fire seal on the door, this will not only give protection against fire, smoke, and moister, but it will also help to maintain your contents from rust and corrosion. A reliable seal will not even let the fire extinguishing spray into the safe by expanding its size and keep the contents safe.
Managing the Contents
The most significant question is what are you going to place in your safe. Most of the cases, users put their other valuables as well with their guns that can be a good idea for a budget-friendly approach as long as you don’t think about emergencies other than thieves. Every material has its own life when it is exposed to a higher level of heat. Paper-like cash, personal data like documents, DVDs, C.D.s, or photos of your family, jewelry, etc. can be fit in with guns in the safe.
House on fire generally can have a temperature in 800 to 1200 degrees, and mostly safes are engineered to keep the inner temperature near 350 degrees, and after that paper and wood can start discoloring. The paper will autoigniting at 415 degrees. In the process of maintaining temperature, safe will create moisture that also damages most of the contents.
U.L. rated small safe for documents, and other valuables can be put inside the gun safe for greater protection against fire.
Placement of the Gun Safe
Placing a gun safe on the floor with holes can be a good idea to secure it from intruders, but for fire protection, it can be more prone to damage. You can have a wall safe to mount it on the wall as doors of the floor safes are exposed with no fire board to dissipate the heat. You can hide your safe to give it more security, but it should be easily accessed able in emergencies.
In the fire-resistant gun safe, you can have both mechanical or electronic locks. Mechanical locks should be adequately maintained as advised by experts it should be serviced by technicians after every five years. Electronic locks can work well while managing the batteries. Some of the safes have both the options to facilitate their users to access the safe easily and manage the contents more securely.